This practice game helps teams train their attacking, defending, heading, passing, and transition skills.
Set-up and Play
- Begin with players at each spot: a, b, and c (as in frame 1)
- a is the server
- b is the attacker
- c is the defender
- Using his hands, a serves a ball to c who heads it to b (frame 1)
- The server then moves to the back of group b
- Player b immediately dribbles toward the goal line setting-up for a cross; c defends the cross
- Optionally have a 4th player that can serve as the intended receiver of the cross
- Player b simulates a cross
- The “cross” should end with player c in possession of the ball
- Player c defends the cross and immediately looks to transition into the attack by passing the ball to the next player at spot a (frame 3)
- Player c immediately sprints to the back of spot a ; player b sprints to spot c and prepares to act as the defender (c) (frame 4)
- Repeat with current group of players
- Upon gaining possession of the ball, player c should immediately look to find passing options (in this case, group a), distribute the ball, and get into position to assist the attack.
- For added difficulty, change the starting point for each new person at group a so that c had to find the “open player” before passing.